Our purpose is to teach people to follow Jesus and be fishers of men. Dedicated to evangelism, disciple making disciples, T4T, Pioneer Church Planting, and being a catalyst for Disciple Making Movements (DMM). We train in theory (classroom) and live action discipleship. (harvest)

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Fish Tales 05/26/2016



What "can" you do?
 
In the every day life of a disciple maker there are challenges and great things.  Not everything is perfect or goes perfectly as planned.  There are many ups and downs.  You hope it is more like the stock market.  We have to view it over a period of time.  What we are looking for is the "trend".

It's not always what you are doing, but the direction you are going.  As disciple makers we must regularly remind ourselves that disciple making is a process or cycle.  While it has results, the focus is on the process.  A number of years ago we worked along side CRU.  Part of the focus was getting a decision.

When that didn't happen, people got frustrated.  Some decided to quit.  Others pressed forward.  Success was gauged on the results.  We found that this was not healthy.  The cycle of discipleship (diagram)  is focused on "faithfulness" as the main metric for success.  There will be fruit.  From time to time you can still get frustrated or down in the process.  Even Jesus asked his followers, how long must I still be with you?
We have to ask ourselves, What "can" you do? Emphasis is on "can".  When we get frustrated in the process or the results or people just not getting it. Our mind tends to think on obstacles and barriers.  The people won't... They don't get... They like listening, but... Where the multiplication? We are doing the stuff, where's the magic?

What can you do?
Think about it.  Write it down.  Say it loud. 

I've had to have this conversation with myself and others.  Then I pray.  I go to a place and get quiet.  Share my frustrations and concerns with God.  Then I read his word.  I talk to Him about it.  I might cry.  Yeah, I said it.  I ask God to show me what's happening.  He reveals what I have done and can do.  Then I go do what I can.  I leave the rest to him.

When we arrive at the throne of grace, he will not list all the metrics we are concerned about.  He will address our faithfulness to his will.  So, continue to do the process.  Plant seed. Water it. Care for it.  Trust that this foolish process will yield what God desires of it.

Be encouraged. Go Fish!

No comments:

Mission Network News

Prayer Requests

How may we pray for you? We consider it a privilege to bring your requests and praises before God.

homejax@gmail.com